Revenue Protection Paralegal
Hurst, TXCareer Area: Corporate
Position Title: Compliance – Revenue Protection Paralegal
Department: Dept 94 - Compliance
Status: Full Time - Permanent
Reports to: Director of Compliance
FLSA Status: Exempt
Location: Hurst, TX
The Revenue Protection Paralegal will work directly with the Liberty Tax Vice President and Director of Compliance and the Chief Operating Officer on multiple ongoing projects. This position is integral to help identify areas of potential lost revenue within both franchise and owner-operated Liberty Tax locations. The position will perform analytical and investigative services working directly with the Compliance, Legal, Operations Departments and the Executive team.
- Analysis of the Internal Revenue Service Electronic Return Originator (ERO) Database - The IRS ERO Database list all individuals who possess an Electronic Filing Identification Number (EFIN). This position involves searching the IRS ERO Database for individuals who possess more than one EFIN and reviewing the individual’s Franchise Agreement to see whether they have a stipulation allowing them to possess a second EFIN. The position also involves reviewing the ERO database to see if franchisees who have left the Liberty Tax system are preparing tax returns in violation of their non-compete clause. Finally, the position entails reporting to Compliance, Operations and Legal Department management the results of the reviews.
- Reviewing Reports detailing returns that are marked as “Free Returns” - Liberty Tax offices are permitted to provide free returns to their customers. This position will require the analysis of reports detailing the free returns provided by select offices and communicating with clients to determine whether their tax return was free.
- Tracking the files that are transferred from closed Liberty Tax offices- Once a Liberty Tax office is closed the files are transferred either to a neighboring office or moved into storage. This position will require the tracking of these files.
- Track franchisees who when they joined Liberty Tax brought previous clients with them- Individuals who previously maintained a tax preparation business are charged a reduced royalty fee for the preparation of these clients’ future tax returns. This position will require the tracking of these franchisees and the list of previous clients.
- Track fee intercepted amendments- This position will require the tracking of franchisees where the method of the interception of fees paid to them has been amended.
- Assist with programs to track potential lost revenue from Canadian Liberty Tax stores.
- Cultivate and maintain a positive, productive, and professional relationships with staff, colleagues, franchisees and area developers.
- Other duties as assigned
- Four-year college degree
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills and experience to collect and document evidence
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written)
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office Products: Outlook, Excel, Access and Word
- Ability to initiate ideas and direct the implementation of new processes
- Knowledge of SQL is preferred
Physical Demands and Work Environment
- Position requires working at a desk at the corporate office for periods of time up to eight hours.
This is not necessarily an exhaustive list of responsibilities, skills, duties, requirements, efforts or working conditions. While this list is intended to be an accurate reflection of the current job, Liberty Tax Service reserves the right to revise the functions and duties of the job or to require that additional or different tasks be performed when circumstances change (i.e. emergencies, changes in personnel, work load, or technological developments).
Liberty Tax Service is an equal opportunity employer.