Vice President of Compliance
Hurst, TXCareer Area: Corporate
Job Type: Full Time
Is responsible for the development, implementation, and execution of the company-wide Compliance Program which monitors franchise and owner-operated store compliance with federal and state tax-related statutes. In addition, the VP of Compliance will be responsible for developing standard methods and processes, audits and inspections, and solutions and opportunities for continuous improvement and innovation in the area of Compliance.
• Responsible for the daily operation of Liberty Tax Service’s Compliance Department. This department monitors the compliance of franchisee and corporate employed tax preparers with federal and state laws, rules, and regulations; and corporate and franchisee compliance with IRS electronic filing requirements.
• Identifying and recommending, to Liberty Tax’ executive officers, including the chief executive officer, the termination of Liberty Tax Service franchisee owners, employees of Company-Owned Stores, or area developers due to violations of federal law and regulations, fraud, failure to maintain adequate controls to ensure against the preparation and transmission of false or fraudulent federal tax returns to the IRS
• Responsible for investigating complaints that are filed by citizen and corporate and franchise employees.
• Responsible, in conjunction with Liberty’s Information Security team, in the minimization, investigation, and reporting to government agencies of identity theft, and the subsequent assisting of clients who are victims of identity theft.
• Responsible for working with the IRS and state revenue departments and prosecutors to investigate potential violations of the tax laws.
• Responsible for assisting in the training and discipline of non-compliant franchisees and tax preparers.
• Responsible for attending and/or monitoring meetings of the American Coalition of Taxpayer Rights (ACTR), California Tax Education Council (CTEC), Tax Filing Empowerment Canada (TFEC), IRS Security Summit, and associated working groups and the Council for Electronic Revenue Communication Advancement (CERCA).
• Assist other Liberty Tax Departments in understanding their compliance obligations.
Communicate to the CEO and Executive and Risk Committees on the stats of the Compliance Department and compliance issues when they occur.
• Ensure that all Compliance programs are properly functioning, including:
-The in-season and out-of-season on-site reviews of franchise and owned and operated stores.
-The Mystery shop program
-The automatic hold of returns prior to transmission to the IRS
-The Compliance Alert program
-The compliance blacklist program
• Present compliance initiatives and training programs at staff, franchisees, Area Developer meetings.
• Create training videos and webinars that are available to staff, franchisees, and Area Developers.
• Assist with the Compliance Revenue Protection program.
• As needed be available to the CEO and Risk and Audit Committees for other Compliance related projects
• Actively licensed attorney or Certified Public Accountant with a minimum of seven (7) years experience in tax matters, relevant legal or regulatory compliance matters, or internal investigations
• At least ten years of demonstrated leadership and vision in managing staff, groups and major projects or initiatives
• Excellent interpersonal skills and a collaborative management style
• Excellent verbal, analytical, organizational, writing, and presentation skills
• Excel at operating in a fast-paced, community environment
• Strong multi-tasking skills
• High sense of urgency
• Actively licensed attorney or Certified Public Accountant
• At least ten years of demonstrated leadership and vision in managing staff, groups, and major projects or initiatives
This is not necessarily an exhaustive list of responsibilities, skills, duties, requirements, efforts, or working conditions. While this list is intended to be an accurate reflection of the current job, Liberty Tax Service reserves the right to revise the functions and duties of the job or to require that additional or different tasks be performed when circumstances change (i.e. emergencies, changes in personnel, workload, or technological developments).
Liberty Tax Service is an equal opportunity employer