Hurst, TXCareer Area: Corporate
Job Type: Full Time
Position Title: Staff Accountant
Status: Full Time
FLSA Status: Exempt
Location: Hurst, TX
The Corporate Staff Accountant works closely with members of the inter-company Finance & Accounting Teams to oversee all fixed assets and sub-ledger systems including the general ledger as well as filing various tax returns. This position also assists with financial analysis, reporting to senior management, and quarterly reviews and year-end audits related to fixed assets and tax.
- Recording new assets in Sage, fixed asset sub-ledger including coding, verifying, reconciling, recording, and adjusting assets
- Run and record monthly additions, disposals, transfers, and depreciation journal entries in the company accounting software and reconcile them to the general ledger
- Review amounts capitalized or expensed as repairs and maintenance or fixed assets adhering to company capitalization policy
- Generate all journal entries related to fixed assets activity as needed in the general ledger
- Maintain reconciliation of fixed asset sub-ledger to the general ledger for software in development and all capital assets and record and track any variances
- Prepare all period end and quarter end fixed asset reporting for management and external/internal auditors
- Assist with the recording of fixed asset-related accounting matters including impairments, retirements, and other adjustments
- Prepare tax-related schedules or returns, book to tax reconciliations and tax-related reporting
- Monitor Asset Held for Sales and Software in Development with the collaboration of IT and Purchase and Sales team
- Prepare monthly filing returns of sales and use taxes for all applicable states and localities. Additionally, prepare regular filings of Canada GST/HST tax and PST tax.
- Prepare filing and payment of all Real Estate Taxes and Personal Property Tax for Corporate Office owned properties.
- Assist with the preparation of the Corporate Income Tax.
- Assist with financial reporting to prepare the Annual Reporting.
- Stay abreast of tax law changes and understand the impact on the company
- Responsible for applying and maintaining active Business Licenses for all Corporate Office owned locations.
- Bachelor’s or higher degree in Accounting is required with a ood working knowledge of GAAP or equivalent experience
- Minimum of 3+ years of general accounting experience
- Prior tax accounting and Fixed Asset experience preferred
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, including advanced Excel skills
- Experience using Great Plains, Sage, or equivalent accounting system
Required Skills and Qualities:
- Self-motivated, with the ability to work independently to complete prescribed duties and assignments
- Work product must be high quality and accurate
- Have the ability to consistently meet deadlines on a timely basis
- Possess the verbal and written communication skills to effectively correspond with co-workers and all levels of management
- Exhibit strong time management and organizational skills, with the ability to multi-task and manage shifting priorities
Physical Demands and Work Environment
The position requires working at a desk at the corporate office for periods of time up to eight hours
This is not necessarily an exhaustive list of responsibilities, skills, duties, requirements, efforts or working conditions. While this list is intended to be an accurate reflection of the current job, Liberty Tax Service reserves the right to revise the functions and duties of the job or to require that additional or different tasks be performed when circumstances change (i.e. emergencies, changes in
personnel, workload, or technological developments).
Liberty Tax Service is an equal opportunity employer