Legal Department Manager/Senior Paralegal
Virginia Beach, VACareer Area: Corporate
Job Type: Full Time
Legal Department Manager/Senior Paralegal
Liberty Tax is a leader in the tax preparation industry and is looking for a Senior Corporate Paralegal to join its in-house legal team. As Senior Corporate Paralegal, you will support the legal department in the delivery of quality legal services and you will be responsible for assisting the legal department on all day-to-day corporate and commercial matters, including, but not limited to, various transactional and litigation matters while also being the lead for the Paralegal Team. In this role, you will be responsible for a variety of corporate legal matters and need to be able to thrive in a fast-paced, challenging, and constantly evolving environment. You’ll also need to have excellent problem-solving skills, meticulous organizational ability, and attention to detail while being passionate about interacting and collaborating with internal and external stakeholders and counseling across geographies, cultures, and functions. You’ll need to be accurate, concise, and thorough in your written and verbal communication skills, as well as persuasive. You’ll also need to be interested in Liberty Tax’s business, story, culture, and growth strategy.
Team Lead Responsibilities
• Act as a liaison and establish relationships between the attorney staff, paralegal staff, Operations department and Accounting Department.
• Training, assigning, scheduling, coaching, counseling; and communicating job expectations of the paralegal staff to meet departmental and corporate expectations.
• Planning, monitoring, appraising and reviewing paralegal staff job contributions while actively enforcing policy and procedure
• Ensure all Legal Department requests are delivered on time and within scope.
• Develop a detailed project plan to track progress and monitor on-time results.
• Achieves operational objectives by contributing information and recommendations to strategic plans and reviews.
• Prepares and completes action plans implementing productivity, quality and customer service standards while solving problems and determining system improvements.
• Enhances department and organization reputation by accepting ownership for various related legal projects; exploring opportunities to add value to job accomplishments.
• Leads weekly paralegal team meetings and keeps Sr. Counsel Management appraised of the on-going status.
Departmental Position Responsibilities/Duties/Functions/Tasks
• Draft and review legal documents to ensure it meets Company standards, policies and procedures.
• Handle various transactional matters including, but not limited to, franchise deal closings, renewals, corporate filings, drafting correspondence and other legal matters.
• Assist lawyers with the preparation of complex legal documents, production of documents and trial preparation as needed.
• Provide administrative support as needed.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s degree plus completion of paralegal certificate from an ABA-approved program, or other relevant combination of education and experience.
• 4+ years’ experience working as a paralegal in a law firm or in-house environment.
• Strong leadership skills, written and verbal communication, interpersonal and organizational skills.
• Exceptional contract drafting capabilities.
• Self-motivated and ability to work both independently and to manage a team in high pressure situations.
• Ability to navigate PACER and other court filing software is required.
• Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
• Strong sense of accountability, taking ownership over projects and responsibilities and resolving issues proactively.
• High level of accuracy, attention to detail, and excellent proofreading skills.
• Ability to assess information, anticipate issues and outcomes, and make effective decisions.
• Strong initiative to proactively increase value to the position.
• Ability to manage multiple requests, assess priorities, and achieve solutions under deadlines.
• Flexibility and ability to work overtime as required.
• Excellent teamwork skills and a strong client service orientation.
• Ability to deal effectively with people at all levels of an organization, including senior executives and board members.
• Ability to work as part of a team and willingness to help with tasks required to meet overall goals.
Liberty Tax is an equal opportunity employer.